Upgrade iphone beta 5 on 2G phone (1st Gen) only
May 25, 2009 § 4 Comments
Two out of three developers receive error messages upon installation of iPhone Beta 5 (3.0 (7A312g)) on iPhone. This procedure is confirmed to work for iphone 2G (1st Generation).
- “ERROR: Updating baseband: file could not be verified”
- “Bad Build Identity”
- passcode set for screen locking
Watch out if you are using beta version earlier than Beta 5. Each beta seems to have an expiration date. You must upgrade to the next beta version before the current beta expire. You would need to update from previous Beta to the next Beta version to complete a successful upgrade.
Even if you have Apple Store plan, it is unlikely you would receive Genius help as they are not trained to work on OS 3.0 yet. Apple may not support any iphone problems related to OS 3.0 beta upgrade. It is unlikely that you would be able to exchange for new iphone.
Status: Your iphone may show purple screen or pink screen without option to “Slide for emergency”. It’s iTune logo with usb cable.
- install latest beta iTune 8.2 (where you download OS 3.0 Beta 5)
- ipsw copy of firmware
This is how you move the iphone to FDU mode. It is not normal restore mode.
- Download and install latest iTune 8.2 pre-release
- Download iphone OS 3.0 beta 4 (1st Generation iphone only)
- Connect iphone to mac via USB
- Launch iTune 8.2 pre-release
- Select your device
- No dialog box are open.
- iphone on in purple screen mode. Pink screen will work.
- Hold sleep button (top button) and Home button (below screen).
- Count 10 long sec after screen go blank
- Let go sleep button (top button) after 10th long sec
- Let go home button after 15th long sec
- Repeat until you see blank screen, iTune detect the phone
- Hold it until iTune display a message window (iphone/ipod found) and ask you to restore
- This is in FDU mode
- Press Option button-Click restore button on iTune
- Select previous firmware
- Wait until you see black screen with “Slide for emergency option”
- iTune option to restore from past backups OR setup as new phone
- Keep restoring to previous backup until errors are gone
- Or setup a new phone
- iTune is back to normal with 2 buttons “Check for updates” or “Restore”
- Option+Click on “Restore”
- Select Beta 4 .ipsw file (7a300g)
- iphone will be restored to iphone OS 3.0 beta 4.
- Activate your iphone.
- Download iphone OS 3.0 beta 5 (1st General iphone only)
- Select you iphone on iTune
- Option-click on “Check for updates” (not Restore)
- Select iphone OS 3.0 beta 5 .ipsw file (7a312g)
- Your iphone will be restored to iphone OS 3.0 beta 5
- Activate your iphone
- You will lose all data and app
- Syn will add the app back
Xcode Organizer restore won’t work. You must use iTune beta instead. Don’t skip updating Beta4 before you go on Beta 5. Restore the iphone to beta 4, then do update. Not a restore to beta 5.
Or you can try shorter version
- hold both buttons for 7 sec then release top button
- continue to hold home button until iTune recognize the phone
If your beta 4 on iphone is expired, update option on iTune is grayed out.
You can’t restore directly to Beta 5 on 2G / 1st generation iphone. You can restore directly to beta 4 by option-clicking the restore button in iTune 8.2. Select beta 4 file you’ve downloaded. Update from beta 4 to beta 5 by Option-Clicking “Check for updates” button in iTune (Not Restore). Select beta 5 file.
To install OS 3.0 beta 5 into 2G iphone, you need both OS 3.0 beta 4 and beta 5 to complete the process.
To restore back to OS 2.2.1 (you never install beta 3 or beta 4 prior to this)
- Move iphone to DFU mode
- Option-Click in iTune on “Restore” button
- Select 2.2.1 .ipsw
- Wait until iphone is restored
- Option-Click on “Check Updates” button in iTune
- Select 3.0 .ipsw